What is a Hate Crime/Hate Incident?

Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that hate crime can cause.
 'Hate incidents' and 'hate crimes' are terms used to describe acts of violence or hostility directed at people because of who they are or who someone thinks they are. They are motivated by hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, transgender identity, or sexual orientation. This can be an incident against a person or against property and includes materials posted online. 

The Home Office have launched a campaign called 'It's Not Just Offensive, It's An Offence' which is a campaign that seeks to reassure communities at risk of hate crime that it will be taken seriously. You can view the advert for this campaign below. 

The police and the Crown Prosecution Service take all hate crimes & incidents very seriously and would encourage you to report this to them.

ReligionBanner.jpg 99.3 KB

Hate Incidents

Some examples of hate incidents include: 
  • verbal abuse such as name-calling and offensive jokes
  • harassment
  • bullying or intimidation by children, adults, neighbours or strangers
  • physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting
  • threats of violence
  • hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail
  • online abuse, e.g. on Facebook/Twitter
  • displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters
  • harm or damage to things such as your home, pet, or vehicle
  • graffiti
  • arson
  • throwing rubbish into a garden
  • malicious complaints, for example over parking, smells or noise

Hate Crime
When hate incidents become criminal offences they are known as hate crimes. A criminal offence is something that breaks the law. Some examples of hate crimes include:
  • assaults
  • criminal damage
  • harassment
  • murder
  • sexual assault
  • theft
  • fraud
  • burglary
  • hate mail

 Race and Religious Hate Crime
Racist and religious crime is particularly hurtful to victims as they are being targeted solely because of their personal identity: their actual or perceived racial or ethnic origin, belief or faith. These crimes can happen randomly or be part of a campaign of continued harassment and victimisation.

 Homophobic and Transphobic Hate Crime

In the past, incidents against lesbian, gay, bisexual people or transgender people have been rarely reported and even more rarely prosecuted. Research studies suggest that victims of, or witnesses to, such incidents have very little confidence in the criminal justice system. Therefore it is highly important we encourage those experiencing this type of hate crime to report and access support for this.

 Disability Hate Crime
Feeling and being unsafe through violence, harassment or negative stereotyping has a significant impact on disabled people's sense of security and wellbeing. It also impacts significantly on their ability to participate both socially and economically in their communities.

I have been affected by Hate Crime/Hate Incident - what can I do?

Hate crimes/incidents hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.
Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 , the Student Dignity and Respect Policy and the  University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy. Find out more about bullying and harassment and sexual harassment.

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone).
  • Finding a safe space.  If possible try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security on 01772 892068.  
  • Try talking to a friend.  Consider asking a friend or someone you trust to be with you.
  • Text Support.  If you feel you need to talk to someone immediately you can contact Shout, a free 24/7 text service for anyone struggling to cope. TEXT Shout to 85258.
  • Download the UCLan SafeZone app to access a range of safety support and information such as raising an emergency alert, calling for help and setting a check in timer which alerts security if you do not reach your destination in a set amount of time. 

  • To the Police If you want to report directly to Lancashire Constabulary you can use their online form. If the incident occurred outside of Lancashire you can ring the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team on 01772 893020 to discuss how to contact your local Police force if you are unsure. If you do not want to talk to the police or fill in the reporting forms, you can still report a hate crime/incident by contacting Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential.
  • UCLan Burnley students can contact Burnley Police Station directly.
  • UCLan Westlakes Campus students can view the Cumbria Police site for information on how the Police can offer support.
  • UCLan Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre is a third-party Hate Crime/Incident reporting centre and works with Lancashire Constabulary and True Vision to provide a confidential and free service. Reporting incidents helps the police to know the hot spots for this type of crime. Even anonymous reports can help focus police resources to tackle the issue and students are urged to come forward for support if they are a victim or have witnessed an incident.
  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor, they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff, there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.

Where can I get support?

If you think you have, or someone you know has, experienced a hate crime/incident, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.
  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is an Organisation that welcomes and celebrates diversity, a commitment reflected in the shared values of those who work and study with us. Our vision is to strengthen our culture of equality, diversity and inclusion for our diverse University community, where everyone can feel safe, valued and supported.

 For students
  • If you are a student, you can talk to your academic adviser who will advise on how you can be referred to the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team.
  • Student Support is the student information and support centre who provide all students with a high-quality information and support service. If your query is more specialist, they will help you as much as they can before referring you directly to the team who can help. Find them on the Lower Ground Floor of the Student Centre.
  • The Student Wellbeing Service can help students experiencing a range of difficulties that are affecting their wellbeing. They offer a confidential, professional service, ensuring that students receive personal support, recognising people as individuals, all with different needs.
  • UCLan Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre. This is a free, confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings. The Advice and Representation Centre is also a third party Hate Crime reporting centre and works with Lancashire Constabulary and True Vision. Reporting incidents helps the police to know the hot spots for this type of crime. Even anonymous reports can help focus police resources to tackle the issue and students are urged to come forward for support if they are a victim or have witnessed an incident.
  • The Inclusive Support Service  The University’s dedicated Inclusive Support Advisors can provide advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies.
  • The Advice and Resolution Centre The University's Mediation Service offers an alternative dispute resolution approach; it is confidential and can help resolve a disagreement or conflict, with a colleague in the work place or a fellow student.
  • Residences Team. If you are a student in Halls, each residence has a team of Residence Officers and Assistant Residences Officer. The team can provide you with assistance and support to make your time with us an enjoyable one.
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances.

 For staff
  • Hate Crime is contrary to the Dignity at Work procedure. You might like to have a read of this to discover more about the procedure including some formal and informal actions that you can take.
  •  The People Team Contacts. If you are a member of staff your HR Manager will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups which you can view on the staff Intranet through clicking the link. These groups provide a forum for staff to discuss issues of mutual interest and the ability to raise issues in a safe environment. They can help new staff settle in, provide networking opportunities across departments and also increase staff knowledge of the University's activities.
  • Counselling. It’s important that you take care of yourself. The Staff Counselling Service offers a confidential, accessible counselling service to all its employees, in line with the University's mission statement and policies. If you are a member of staff, you can email the Staff Counselling service or call 01772 892329 to request an appointment. 

 Other sources of support

  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience.
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.
  • Lancashire Victims Services If you have been the victim of crime due to your religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic background or based on your appearance, Lancashire Victim Services are here to help. They can provide counselling, advocacy and mediation to help you move forward.
  • Lancashire LGBT is proud to support a number of groups and activities across Lancashire that provide a diverse range of opportunities for LGB&T (including non-binary) people.
  • Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.
  • Community Security Trust (CS) helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias.
  • Neighbourhood Policing Teams. The Lancashire Constabulary website provides a list of Neighbourhood Policing Teams by each area of Lancashire, who you can contact to gather details of your Neighbourhood Policing Team; how to arrange a visit from your Neighbourhood Policing Team and local support agencies. They also have a list of  Hate Crime and Third Party Reporting Centres.
  • Victim Support. When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened