In an emergency? To access more information go to this page.

The Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team at UCLan are available to support you on 01772 893020 or Wellbeing@uclan.ac.uk 

What is Domestic Abuse? 

Domestic abuse can be any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This can include forced marriage, so-called “honour-based” violence, Female Genital Mutilation, and ritual abuse. 

The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to:

·       psychological 
·       physical 
·       sexual 
·       financial/economic abuse 
·       emotional 
·       coercive control 
·       online or digital 

Controlling behaviour is a range of acts designed to make a person subordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support, exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain, depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance and escape and regulating their everyday behaviour. Coercive behaviour is an act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, frighten, isolate or create dependence. 

There are links and overlap between domestic violence and the continuum of sexual violence.

Forced Marriage

Forced marriage is an abuse of human rights and is illegal in the UK. If you or someone you know is being forced into a marriage, help and advice is available. Culture, Religion and Tradition are not an excuse. For further specialist support, please contact the Forced Marriage Unit on 02070080151 

Honour Based Violence

The concept of ‘honour’, for some communities, is deemed to be extremely important. The punishment for bringing dishonour can be emotional abuse, physical abuse, family disownment and in some cases even murder. In most honour-based violence cases there are multiple perpetrators from the immediate family, sometimes the extended family and occasionally the community at large. 

Female Genital Mutilation

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a procedure where the female genitals are deliberately cut, injured or changed, but there's no medical reason for this to be done. It's illegal in the UK and is child abuse. It's very painful and can seriously harm the health of women and girls and cause long-term problems with sex, childbirth and mental health. 

If you know of someone who is in immediate danger, contact the police immediately by dialling 999.

  • If you're concerned that someone may be at risk, contact the NSPCC helpline on 0800 028 3550 or fgmhelp@nspcc.org.uk 

  • If you're under pressure to have FGM performed on your daughter, ask a GP, your health visitor or another healthcare professional for help, or contact the NSPCC helpline. 

  • If you have had FGM, you can get help from a specialist NHS gynaecologist or FGM service – ask a GP, your midwife or any other healthcare professional about services in your area. 


I’ve been affected by domestic abuse- what can I do? 

  • If you are in, or have been in, an abusive relationship it may be hard to know what to do or how to feel. What happened was not your fault. What you do next is your choice. 

  • View our UCLan Safety Plan and contact the Wellbeing service to arrange an appointment to have a personalised safety plan put together with one of our Wellbeing Advisors. 

  • The Millers Taxis ‘Take Me Home’ scheme allows you to use your UCLan ID Card as a deposit for journeys of £10 and under around Preston City Centre, and the university area, and pay later. You will then be emailed and instructed on how to collect your card. The number for Millers Taxis is 01772 884000.

  • If you need to travel and do not have the funds for this, you can access a free rail pass when accessing support through Women’s Aid to travel to a refuge. 

  • If you are not on campus, is there a family member or close friend you can trust who could come and pick you up?

If you're thinking of reporting to the police, Women’s Aid have put together some information on what to expect when you report domestic abuse to the Police and what happens next. If the incident occurred outside of Lancashire you can ring the Student Wellbeing Service on 01772 893020 or Human Resources on 01772 892324 to discuss how to contact your local Police force if you are unsure. 
Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to a Wellbeing advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 

Initiatives I can make use of.

From 14th January 2021, victims of domestic abuse will be able to access much needed support from thousands of pharmacies across the UK, backed by the government. The Ask for ANI scheme allows those at risk or suffering from abuse to discreetly signal that they need help and access support. By asking for ANI, a trained pharmacy worker will offer a private space where they can understand if the victim needs to speak to the police or would like help to access support services such as a national or local domestic abuse helplines. 
Download the UCLan SafeZone app to access a range of safety support and information such as raising an emergency alert, calling for help and setting a check in timer which alerts security if you do not reach your destination in a set amount of time. 

Where can I get support? 

  • UCLan’s Wellbeing Advisors have a range of experience in many areas, including domestic abuse. They have received specialist training from Women’s Aid, Paladin, Laura Richards and more, as well as many having worked in refuges and for domestic abuse services. Contact us on 01772 893020 or make a report to an advisor to arrange an appointment. 

  • Lancashire Victim Services will assign you to an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA). IDVAs offer support to victims of domestic abuse to address their safety and the safety of their children. Serving as a victim’s primary point of contact, IDVAs normally work with their clients from the point of crisis to assess the level of risk, discuss the range of suitable options and develop safety plans. They receive specialist accredited training and hold a nationally recognised qualification. 

  • Lancashire Sexual Assault Forensic Examination (SAFE) Centre If sexual abuse has occurred within the violent relationship, the SAFE Centre provides forensic examinations, advice and comprehensive support services for women, men and children of all ages who make a complaint of rape or sexual assault. 

  • Call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. This is run on a partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge. Lines are open 24/7 and calls can be made anonymously. 

  • Karma Nirvana is a national charity supporting victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage. Honour crimes are not determined by age, faith, gender or sexuality; they support and work with all victims. They run a national helpline offering direct support and guidance to victims and professionals. 

  • IMKAAN are a UK based organisation addressing violence against black and minority ethnic women and girls. They offer tailored advice and support on their website. 

  • Women’s Aid is a national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. Their website includes support for victims, survivors and those seeking to help them including local service contact details, a 24 hour online forum and an online Survivor’s Handbook. 

  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people affected by domestic abuse. 

  • Men's Advice Line provides advice and support for male victims of domestic abuse 

  • The Revenge Porn helpline provides advice and support and is run by South West Grid Learning trust 0845 600 459 

  • If English is not your first language, or that of the person you are concerned about, and you require support, the Home Office have released campaign materials for Domestic Abuse in a range of languages.

  • The Home Office have also produced a guide titled Three Steps to Escaping Violence Against Women and Girls and focuses on issues face by black and minority ethnic women and children.
  • Humraaz provides confidential specialist support to Black and Minority Ethnic women who are experiencing Domestic Abuse and all forms of Harmful Traditional Practices. The support they offer is tailored to the individual and includes practical and emotional support. You can self refer via email or a referral can be made on your behalf, with your consent, by a professional that you have been meeting with, such as a Wellbeing Advisor at UCLan. 

  • The Halo Project Charity supports victims of honour-based violence, Forced Marriage and FGM by providing advice and support. They operate a public helpline which you can contact on 01642 683045. 

  • The Halo Project website also details how you can contact the Forced Marriage Unit which is jointly run by the Home Office and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened