If you are concerned about someone's mental health or wellbeing there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.

  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion . The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is an organisation that welcomes and celebrates diversity, a commitment reflected in the shared values of those who work and study with us. Our vision is to strengthen our culture of equality, diversity and inclusion for our diverse University community, where everyone can feel safe, valued and supported.

For students

  • Your School. If you are a student you can talk to your academic advisor who will advise on how you can be referred to the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team.
  • The <i> is the student information and support centre who provide all students with a high-quality information and support service. If your query is more specialist, they will help you as much as they can before referring you directly to the team who can help. Find them on the ground floor of the Library.
  • The Student Wellbeing Service can help students experiencing a range of difficulties that are affecting their mental health and wellbeing. They offer a confidential, professional service, ensuring that students receive personal support, recognising people as individuals, all with different needs.
  • The Inclusive Support Service. The University’s dedicated Inclusive Support Advisors can provide advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies.

For staff

  • Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups which you can view on the staff Intranet through clicking the link. These groups provide a forum for staff to discuss issues of mutual interest and the ability to raise issues in a safe environment. They can help new staff settle in, provide networking opportunities across departments and also increase staff knowledge of the University's activities.
  • Counselling. It’s important that you take care of yourself. The Staff Counselling Service offers a confidential, accessible counselling service to all its employees, in line with the University's mission statement and policies. If you are a member of staff, you can email the Staff Counselling service to request an appointment.

Other sources of support

  • The Lancashire Care Foundation Trust Wellbeing & Mental Health Helpline is a Freephone out of hours, person centered listening environment for people requiring emotional support in relation to their own mental health or that of someone they know. Fully trained volunteers operate the helpline, they offer their time to listen and support callers. Call: 0800 9154640. Lines are open Monday – Friday 7.00pm until 11.00pm and Saturday & Sunday – 12.00pm until Midnight, 365 days a year
  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. You don't have to be suicidal. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Papyrus Hopeline UK The Suicide Prevention Advisers work with people under 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide to understand why these thoughts might be present. They also provide a safe space to talk through anything happening the caller’s life that could be impacting on them or anyone else’s ability to stay safe. They can also support people of any age who are concerned that a young person may be experiencing suicidal thoughts. They are open 10am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends and 2pm – 10pm bank holidays.
    Phone: 0800 068 4141, text: 07786209697 or email: pat@papyrus-uk.org
  • Anxiety UK offers support, advice and information on a range of anxiety and anxiety-based depression conditions. Call: 08444 775 774. Lines are open Mon-Fri 9:30am - 5.30pm.
  • Have a look at the useful links page on the UCLan website for further information on support available.





There are two ways you can report something