We know that for some of our students, this time will be further compounded due to the impact lockdown will be having on those experiencing Domestic Abuse.  If you find yourself in this situation, or know someone at risk of Domestic Violence, please contact the Student Counselling, Mental Health & Wellbeing team, who can support and advise you at this time.  Remember, in an emergency call 999, and if needed, make use of the Silent Solutions option to let operators know you need help.  For more information visit our Wellbeing Page or call the team on 01772 893020 and we will get back promptly. Alternatively, you can visit Women’s Aid, Safelives or view the articles on Report and Support for further guidance and advice. 
If you think you are, or someone you know is in, a violent relationship, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.

For students

  • Your School. If you are a student, you can talk to your academic advisor who will advise on how you can be referred to the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team.
  • The <i>is the student information and support centre who provide all students with a high-quality information and support service. If your query is more specialist, they will help you as much as they can before referring you directly to the team who can help. Find them on the ground floor of the Library.
  • The Student Wellbeing Service can help students experiencing a range of difficulties that are affecting their mental health and wellbeing. They offer a confidential, professional service, ensuring that students receive personal support, recognising people as individuals, all with different needs.
  • UCLan Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre. This is a free, confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings.
  • Residences Team. If you are a student in Halls, all of the residences have a team of Residence Officers and Assistant Residences Officer. The team can provide you with assistance and support to make your time with us an enjoyable one.
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances.

For staff

  • Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.
  • Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison, Unite and UCU.
  • Staff Network Groups. The University has a number of staff network groups which you can view on the staff Intranet through clicking the link. These groups provide a forum for staff to discuss issues of mutual interest and the ability to raise issues in a safe environment. They can help new staff settle in, provide networking opportunities across departments and increase staff knowledge of the University's activities.
  • Counselling. It’s important that you take care of yourself. The Staff Counselling Service offers a confidential, accessible counselling service to all its employees, in line with the  University's mission statement and policies. If you are a member of staff, you can email the Staff Counselling service to request an appointment.

Other sources of support

  • Lancashire Victim Serviceswill assign you to an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA). IDVAs offer support to victims of domestic abuse to address their safety and the safety of their children. Serving as a victim’s primary point of contact, IDVAs normally work with their clients from the point of crisis to assess the level of risk, discuss the range of suitable options and develop safety plans. IDVAs support and work over the short- to medium-term to put them on the path to long-term safety. They receive specialist accredited training and hold a nationally recognised qualification.
  •  Lancashire Sexual Assault Forensic Examination (SAFE) Centre If sexual abuse has occurred within the violent relationship, the SAFE Centre provides forensic examinations, advice and comprehensive support services for women, men and children of all ages who make a complaint of rape or sexual assault.
  • Call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. This is run on a partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge. Lines are open 24/7 and calls can be made anonymously.
  •  Karma Nirvana is a National charity supporting victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage. Honour crimes are not determined by age, faith, gender or sexuality; they support and work with all victims. They run a national helpline offering direct support and guidance to victims and professionals.
  • Women’s Aid is a national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. Their website includes support for victims, survivors and those seeking to help them including local service contact details, a 24 hour online forum and an online Survivor’s Handbook.
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people affected by domestic abuse.
  • Men's Advice Line provides advice and support for male victims of domestic abuse
  • The Revenge Porn helpline provides advice and support and is run by Sourth West Grid Learning trust 0845 600 459
  • If English is not your first language, or that of the person you are concerned about, and you require support, the Home Office have released campaign materials for Domestic Abuse in a range of languages. 

There are two ways you can report something