If you don't feel you can keep yourself safe right now, seek immediate help by:

  • going to any hospital A&E department
  • calling 999 and asking for an ambulance if you can't get to A&E
  • asking someone else to contact 999 for you or take you to A&E immediately
  • calling UCLan Security if you are on campus. Provide them with your exact location and request that they call for an Ambulance.

If you need some support right now, but don't want to go to A&E, help is available and you don’t need to face this alone. You can call the Samaritans if you would like to talk in confidence about your thoughts. No matter what you're going through, you can call them for at any time, from any phone on 116 123. They're available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You don't have to be suicidal to call them.

Other options you may wish to try are:

Mental Health problems are common with 1 in 4 of us experiencing them at some point in our lives. If you have noticed that you are acting differently, feel low, worried or stressed, seeking support is encouraged. You can do this through a number of ways; by speaking to your GP, self-referring to the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing Team at UCLan looking at self-help available online and looking at support available locally.


  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.
  • To a Mental Health Advisor . They offer a free, confidential service to students who are concerned about their mental health. They offer assessment appointments, advice and signposting to various services to best meet a student’s needs. They are professionally trained and experienced practitioners who have all previously worked in the NHS and are members of The University Mental Health Advisers Network. Students can seek help for a variety of difficulties including anxiety, depression, self-injury, hearing voices, suicidal thoughts and eating difficulties.
  • To Human Resources who can provide advice, guidance and signposting for staff.

Get Support


There are two ways you can report something